Saturday, March 24, 2012

Miracles: One size doesn't fit all

Last night I went to Hillel for Shabbat services for the first time in more than a month. I'm kind of embarrassed to say so, but I think it's important, because I wouldn't have made the mental leap I did if I'd seen the text every Friday for the last full semester.
In the middle of the service there's a section called the Amidah, which you say while standing, and often silently. Yesterday, while reading it to myself, I noticed something for the first time that struck me. At the bottom of one page of the siddur (prayer book, for all you goyim reading this) is a short prayer, about a line and a half, expressing our (cultural and theoretical--I'll get into that later) longing for G-d to "return to Zion." By this, I'm pretty sure it means the coming of the Messiah. Then I turned the page and started reading the much longer prayer thanking G-d for little everyday miracles.
Wait, what?
The coming of the Messiah is about the biggest possible miracle ever, and it gets a line and a half. The prayer for small miracles is seven lines in the English translation. Now. Nothing in Scripture is there by accident; it's all been put there by the writers (in this case, the medieval rabbis who compiled the service) for a reason. So what's the reason?

As far as I can tell, the order was intended to remind us to focus on the small things. Then as now, people tend to dwell on the possibility of something big happening: a natural disaster, a war victory, divine judgment. That second prayer tells us that little everyday miracles--events as common as sunrises and family movie nights--are just as miraculous as the coming of the Messiah.
It baffles me that I never hear this second prayer recited in Reform versions of the service. Not hearing the first one makes sense, since the Reform and other more secular movements in Judaism tend not to believe that the Messiah will come in a blaze of glory and make everything better for the faithful. But shouldn't disbelieving the greatest possible miracle make all the smaller ones that much more important?

No comments:

Post a Comment