Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Random things related to Doctor Who

I'm going to start by mentioning the erotic dream I had the other night involving David Tennant. All I remember at this point is that he was there, and probably naked, and definitely clean-shaven. Which he only seems to be IRL when he's playing a character. On talk shows and whatever he always has stubble. Which I don't find especially attractive; but it's still DAVID KRUTZING TENNANT. And I'm sure his wife likes it.

Something to speculate on: Why is it acceptable to fantasize about married celebrities, but not married people who aren't famous?

That, I may tackle some other time (or not at all). For now, I shall move on to music in Doctor Who.The Classic eras all seem to have distinctive music. I don't really pay attention to it, but there are some things I have noticed; for example, the Seventh Doctor serial "Remembrance of the Daleks" (best known for being the one where Ace beats up a Dalek with a baseball bat) has a soundtrack that would not be out of place in a discotheque.

As for the new series, I found nothing particularly distinctive in the Nine and Ten eras, besides the cool rock-ish sound to the second version of the opening theme, but Eleven's music has caught my attention. You know his action theme, I think it's called "I Am the Doctor." The one that plays in every single episode, yet never seems to get old. It's in 7/4 time, and I think that's what keeps it exciting. 7/4 is not quite two measures of common time per measure, and that difference is enough to keep it interesting, and rather light on its feet, which is good because the theme usually plays while people are running. "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" from the musical Cats has 7/4 sections which have a similar (but more comic) effect.

And speaking of the Eleventh Doctor, I want to know who in Belgium wrote that Wild West episode that's all over the Series 7 trailer! Amy seems so poorly written that I'm a little worried. "You've obviously been taking stupid lessons," she says to the Doctor while wildly waving a pistol around. Surely ordinary life hasn't changed her that much? There's no point in diminishing the character right before her heartbreaking exit. Whatever that's going to be.

Anyway, I shall move on for now, but before I do, here are two funny things I found this morning. One is someone's top 20 Classic Series quotes. I shall call your attention to number 6, which is the funniest thing I've ever heard Four say.

The other is this webcomic, The Daily Dalek. It isn't consistently funny, in my opinion, but it's fun.

Have a great day, and don't forget to be awesome!

1 comment:

  1. The wild west one is by Chris Chibnall, author of "42," and the silurian two-parter and script editor for some Torchwood.

    ReplyDelete